Working together to help every child to engage. Having a voice means having a choice!
Our school is a four-form entry school with a Nursery. Every child at Clifton has the opportunity to take part in Pupil Voice. We have selected committees, who focus on different areas of school improvement through Pupil Voice.
The Council is led by the Student Leadership Team. You can see some of the members of the team below, and read why some of them wanted to be involved:
Why Clifton has a School Council
We strongly believe that our children should be able to voice their opinions within our school.
Article 12 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) says that children and young people should have a say in decisions that affect their lives. Our school council can provide a meaningful way in which pupils can voice their opinions and have their views taken into account in decisions which impact on their well-being, safety and happiness.
At Clifton our school council helps to improve many aspects of school life through leadership and development opportunities for our pupils.
Our curriculum requires that pupils are provided with opportunities to participate in school and society. The school council is an excellent way in which we can increase participation of our pupils about democracy, local and global citizenship as well as accountability.
About our School Councillors
School Council pupils will always be expected to:
- Be kind and considerate to others.
- Be respectful to all everybody and care for their school environment.
- Be honest and trustworthy.
- Obey Clifton school rules.
- Keep persevering and never give up.
- Be prepared for the day.
- Be responsible for their choices.
- Try their best.
- Keep their selves and others safe.
- Attempt all work with 100% effort.
- Be role models for the rest of the children.
What can our School Council achieve?
The Councillors will present the views of their class members and provide feedback through:
- Online surveys and in class discussions and assemblies.
- Using J2E to communicate with each other.
- The school council also have the opportunity to meet with the school governors to discuss their plans for the year ahead.
What could they change?
There are many projects and aspects of school life that the School Council could get involved with. Here are some examples:
- Areas around school eg. cloakrooms, toilets.
- Equipment for our playground.
- School environment – Litter – Recycling.
- Raise money for charity.
- Improve our classrooms.
- Help to organise special events/competitions.
- Help shape our curriculum.
Anyone at Clifton can forward their ideas to the Student Leaders! Every voice matters.